3.04.2010

Haiti day 2

Haiti day 2

Sleeping like Bedouins in a brush arbor lean-to with beds. It was good, real good. Haitian countryside is still one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. Amidst the death, destruction and piles of rubble, the mountains still stand majestic. The clouds circle around set aglow by the sun. One lone coconut tree divides the scene.
Ah a breakfast of pasta and hot dogs with a cup of Haitian street coffee and we're off to church.
Got some good video clips at church. It was great to be back under a Haitian brush and tin church. The praise, passion and perspiration. Praise hard, pray hard and preach hard all make for a killer combo at church. Sitting down to some fried bread and fruit before we head north and back to the unknown. Where will we go, where will we sleep? All good questions yet to be answered.
Wahoo... WOW!!! It is so many things about Haiti that I love. It's the Caribbean breeze on my face, blowing my shirt as I walk down the beach. Still dripping salt water from my shorts onto my feet. Eyes still stinging from opening them too long under the light blue sea. I look at the mountains and miss my childhood spent in this place. I look down at the sea and I miss my Tony and Boo. Watching them jump from ''the cliff'' into the water. I think to myself how quickly life passes and I miss my wife. Her with me in this place. It’s very easy to romanticize, after all I am still just romantic watching the sun set.
For dinner will it be steak or conch? I'm leaning towards the conch. As dad and I walk through the bar to the restaurant. Dad sees a guy at the bar looks like a guy we use to know and sure enough it was. Phil Synder from some 20+ years ago; wow now that's crazy. We spend a few minutes talking about the old days no one wanting to jump into the nowadays. Man some of my earliest memories of Haiti include this guy.
The moon is out tonight, its almost full. The waves break on the rocks below. They’re loose and rolling rubbed smooth by the constant push of the waves. You know it's very possible that these may be the same rocks that were here when I was a kid. As we talked to Phil he introduced us to a friend. This was a friend he'd had in Haiti since 1982. That makes me a little sad, seeing that I haven't ever had that. Hmm... Weird huh???

No comments: