3.04.2010

Haiti day 3

Haiti Day 3

Slept good last night, woke up in the morning and there were no extra bites on me... But the ones from the first night were still here. I had the thought that maybe the sun would help rid me of these foul red dots that plague my fore arms and ankles. It was a good thought and I was so white. It doesn't hurt... Yet!
drove past where our old house in Montrouis used to be. It’s gone now. So we drove on remembering places we'd been and things we'd done. A crusade over there, snorkeling there. These conversations lasted all the way to St. Marc. We drove by the Duane and harbor. I can remember the Son Ship and others coming in there. Then past the old Catholic church and made our way to the road Amy and Malinda used to live on. I could remember the most horrific bike accident of my young life happening when another guy (who was towing a girl I might add) lost control of his bike and slammed into me head on. Malinda's bike totaled. I still feel bad for busting her bike. As we went along and remembered our old house was down a street to the right. We actually stumbled on it. Wow the memories that came flooding back. The old pump where I'd spent countless hours now had a spigot. The little house was still there. Jenn and me shared the room in the front, dad and mom in the back. Across the drive lived the Bennett's. Scott was probably the coolest person I'd ever met at 10. He had an Atari and a motorcycle. He spoke Creole and had a pretty older sister. I told ya the memories came flooding back. Crazy huh.
Our first day we drove by the apartment where I used to live. Man talk about memories. We'd sleep up on the roof. I can remember conversations I had and watching shooting stars and sneaking out in the middle of the night. Mr. Adams lived right next door and everyone from Ricky, Carleen, Sopia, JJ and so many others in the apartments below. I met a MK that lived on the outskirts of Arcahaie. His family had been here for 8 months, he was about the same age as I was back then. I guess if I had any words of advice for him it'd be to enjoy it. Don't hate it cause you're missing out on McDonalds and Snicker bars. Everybody can have those things. But not everybody gets what you have. So don't hate it cause one day soon it'll be gone and you’re gonna miss it. I know you don't believe it now but trust me its true.

1 comment:

Amy (McCrum) Cornelius said...

Oh man! What a trip down memory lane! Thanks for taking it and letting me live it vicariously through your blog. What you said to that MK was so absolutely correct. You can't see it as a kid, by oh my, the EXPERIENCE!! It was 5 years of my almost 38 and it always seems like yesterday. I miss Haiti and all of you, and I am so thankful that it will always be a piece of me.